Oil and filter changes- brand favorites? - 2018+ Honda CB1000R, CB300R, CB125R Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Oil and filter changes- brand favorites?

Morning all- So I was having a bit of trouble finding a "non-energy conserving" brand of 10W-30 at my local retailers. I want to stick with the service manual recommendations, what are you guys using? Also, Revzilla has the oil filter available (Honda Oil Filter 15410-KYJ-902) for like $7. Is that a fair price and are there other, cheaper places to get filters? I know most people are pretty opinionated about their oil, so hopefully I haven't started a "which is the best religion" thread! 2019 CB300R with abs.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:33 PM

I believe if you're able to get in on bulk orders with local shops, the filters can be a bit cheaper.
Have you looked around locally?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

I ended up ordering a gallon jug of Gen4 from Amazon for about $27. That's about $6.75 a quart, not too bad I suppose. The filters I got from Revzilla, Honda OEM. Those were around $7 each. I didn't consider reaching out to a shop and seeing if I could get a half dozen or so. I was surprised to see that the Honda Winter Storage guide (from Helm) recommends an oil and filter change pre storage, but then another oil change before going back out in the spring. Anyone actually adhere to that?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:22 PM
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I ended up ordering a gallon jug of Gen4 from Amazon for about $27. That's about $6.75 a quart, not too bad I suppose. The filters I got from Revzilla, Honda OEM. Those were around $7 each. I didn't consider reaching out to a shop and seeing if I could get a half dozen or so. I was surprised to see that the Honda Winter Storage guide (from Helm) recommends an oil and filter change pre storage, but then another oil change before going back out in the spring. Anyone actually adhere to that?
Not me. I understand the reasoning behind the recommendation but I think it's mostly wasteful. I do oil analysis and I'll have the data to test my opinion in a couple weeks. I put 1500 miles on Delo 400 XLE 10w-30 and then packed the bike away for winter. I recently changed it after a year and took a sample. We'll see how it held up. I was not impressed with the factory-fill oil, which I assume was GN4 10W-30. It sheared well into the 20 weight range after 750 miles.

The Honda OEM filters are probably the best. I saved a little money by going with a WIX filter from O'Reillys, but it didn't fit as good as OEM. I saved even more money with a Fram from Walmart but it didn't fit as good as the Wix. I bought some gasket material from O'Reillys and made a gasket. I figure I have to make 2 gaskets to break even and there's enough material to make decades worth of gaskets. The gasket works fine but looks 3rd world compared to the OEM metal gasket. I don't recommend it.

Last edited by Jay; 09-25-2019 at 10:26 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Iím really curious to see what those results are, please do let us all know when you get them!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 12:45 PM

Also not looking for a lengthy oil thread, but Chevron Delo 400 XLE 10W-30 does not meet JASO T903 MA standards, as specified in most all wet clutch motorcycle applications, which ensures the oil does not contain additives harmful to wet clutches. Many people do use Shell Rotella oil, also primarily a diesel oil, although it does adhere to the JASO standard.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 12:21 AM
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Iím really curious to see what those results are, please do let us all know when you get them!
I'll post a link to the results vs the factory fill as soon as I get them.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:57 PM
Jay

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page