Eyeing the '19 CB300R - 2018+ Honda CB1000R, CB300R, CB125R Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Eyeing the '19 CB300R

Good afternoon folks. I recently purchased a '15 CBR300R for mountain carving. I wanted a ultra light bike to throw around. I've never been attracted to sport bikes but found the CBR at a decent price and added it to my stable. After my first serious test in the mountains it failed. It has a glaring flaw, the soft front end. What were they thinking? So, I called Racetech to research new springs, emulators, and set up. Looks to be around the $500 mark but it HAS to be done.

Then I saw the '19 CB300R in red. Didn't know the thing existed. It has many advantages over the CBR (to me anyway).

1. Appearance. It's not a poser sport bike. This also means standard seating position which I prefer.

2. Front end. USD forks. That alone makes my CBR trade bait. No need to redo the front end at my expense.

3. Weight. It's 40 friggin pounds lighter!!! Home run! With a little diet she could be sub 300 lbs. I can't believe it weighs that much less.

I will be posting some questions that probably have been asked before but I appreciate all info.

I've been looking for this forum for a couple weeks now. Glad to have found it.

'08 Triumph Bonneville T-100, '13 Honda CB1100, '15 Honda CBR300R
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 07:31 PM

Welcome to the forum!
Were you looking at any other bikes before deciding to get the 300R?

How much did you pay for it?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 01:39 PM

Glad to have you on the forum! If you get the 2019 CB300R do you plan on keeping the 2015 CBR300R as well?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcomes. Haven't got the 300R yet. Prolly will this winter. I would have no need for a CBR300R and a CB300R especially since the CB addresses all the problems that I have with the CBR.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 01:30 PM

I've owned mine over a year now. It's a great bike but the engine is trash. It's harsh, sounds like crap, old, underpowered, and very unrefined. Honda should have retired this lump a long time ago but decided to keep using it to save on cost. The rest of the time is absolutely worth every penny.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
I've owned mine over a year now. It's a great bike but the engine is trash. It's harsh, sounds like crap, old, underpowered, and very unrefined. Honda should have retired this lump a long time ago but decided to keep using it to save on cost. The rest of the time is absolutely worth every penny.
I have the engine in my CBR300R. I wouldn't say it's trash. It's a 286cc thumper, I'm not sure what you were expecting? I can get off my liter bike and still have a perfectly fun time on the little scoot. It's all a matter of horses for courses. I don't expect the thumper to out drag anything, but put her in tight, technical twisty's and she shines if you keep the rpm's up.

I really want to see what losing 40lbs from the CBR would feel like.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 03:11 PM
Jay

Quote:
Now see, I love the engine! I love the torquey power delivery. I can short shift it and it will pull the taller gears hard without complaint. I love the way it sounds too. Then there's the fuel economy. A single, all else being equal, will be more efficient than a multi because of the lower friction. The light weight of the bike is largely due to the light engine (only 78lbs for 30hp!). No. The engine is the best part of the bike. It's the suspension that fails me. The forks and shock look good but the internals are strictly damper rods from the pleistocene epoch. They are completely non-adjustable except for spring pre-load on the shock. They both work very poorly IMO. I don't expect better at this price but I would have paid more for a RR version of the bike with better components. I really like Kawasaki's approach much better with the ZX-25R with the Showa SFF-BP fully adjustable cartridge forks and shock. Yes, more expensive but worth it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

So Jay, the USD forks on the CB300R are trash too? The sorry stockers on my CBR300R are indeed trash. In fact, when pushed very hard, are downright dangerous. I was looking at the CB300R because or the USD units hoping they are waaaay better than the CBR.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Quote:
Now see, I love the engine! I love the torquey power delivery. I can short shift it and it will pull the taller gears hard without complaint. I love the way it sounds too. Then there's the fuel economy. A single, all else being equal, will be more efficient than a multi because of the lower friction. The light weight of the bike is largely due to the light engine (only 78lbs for 30hp!). No. The engine is the best part of the bike. It's the suspension that fails me. The forks and shock look good but the internals are strictly damper rods from the pleistocene epoch. They are completely non-adjustable except for spring pre-load on the shock. They both work very poorly IMO. I don't expect better at this price but I would have paid more for a RR version of the bike with better components. I really like Kawasaki's approach much better with the ZX-25R with the Showa SFF-BP fully adjustable cartridge forks and shock. Yes, more expensive but worth it.

Then we will have to agree to disagree. We obviously have very different experiences. If a two stroke sounding engine is your thing, great. That is essentially what this bike sounds like especially with a slipon. The engine is gutless unless you are in the proper gear. Running it on a high gear at low revs just lugs the motor and actually takes a while to hit any sort of "powerband". The "torque" down low makes the bike less enjoyable at low speed modulation and requires a lot of slipping and finessing with the clutch to keep it all smooth. The motor is also not more efficient. I'm not sure how you come up with that. When my 600rr can get 45mpg putting over 100hp to the wheels and this motor only gets 65-70mpg making only a third of the power, I wouldn't call that efficient. **** even the old carb ninja 250 with a parralel twin got 80+mpg. The reduced weight of this bike is actually not from the engine but a complete redesign of everything else. The shocks are not adjustable as you mentioned but I find that they are adequate. If you're a heavy rider than I can see someone struggle with it. I wouldn't get this bike if you're over 200lbs.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bheezy27403 View Post
So Jay, the USD forks on the CB300R are trash too? The sorry stockers on my CBR300R are indeed trash. In fact, when pushed very hard, are downright dangerous. I was looking at the CB300R because or the USD units hoping they are waaaay better than the CBR.

Imo it boils down to your weight. The front shocks are not adjustable and they run SOFT from factory. IMO they are not bad but won't be suitable for heavy riders.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page