Chain maintenance - 2018+ Honda CB1000R, CB300R, CB125R Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jay

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Chain maintenance

Hi guys,

I wanted to get some info about chain maintenance, I have 700 mile on my bike so the dealer checked the chain for me on the 600 miles service but moving forward I need to take care of that myself.

1. what products do you use to clean and lubricate your chain?
2. how often do you do that?

Thanks,
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbouattour View Post
Hi guys,

I wanted to get some info about chain maintenance, I have 700 mile on my bike so the dealer checked the chain for me on the 600 miles service but moving forward I need to take care of that myself.

1. what products do you use to clean and lubricate your chain?
2. how often do you do that?

Thanks,
+1 I'd like to know this too. Thanks!

-----
2020 Honda CB300R
2018 KTM Duke 390
2018 Honda PCX
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:29 AM

Once in a blue moon I remember the chain, spray it with Motul chain lube, and forget about it until the next time.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."
ó George Carlin
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:09 PM

Do not do what is mentioned above. You need to clean and lube your chain.

You will need the following items.

1. Kerosene or whatever chain cleaner you want to use.
2. Rear wheel stand(optional it you want to just roll your bike back and forth, takes much longer.)
3. Grunge brush
4. Cardboard.
5. Hose with running water.
6. Chain lube.
7. Paper towel or a clean dry towel.
8. Nitrile gloves

Ride the bike around so the chain warms up. Then you want to lift the rear of the bike on the stands and put the bike in neutral. Place the cardboard preventing overspray onto the tire. Spray kerosene or cleaner on the chain while spinning the tire with your hand. I start at the master link so that I know when I have gone a full revolution. I let the solvent sit for 5 minutes and then use the grunge brush on the chain. Hold the brush on the chain half way between the two sprockets and the spin the wheel. I go about 20 revolution while rotating the brush in a few different positions to make sure that I scrub all 4 sides of the chain. Wash away the solvent with running water and then dry it all off with a towel. Let it sit for 30 minutes for all of the water to evaporate. With the cardboard still in place, spray lube making sure that you cover the orings of the chain. Rotate the wheel while doing this to get good coverage. And just my personal preference, I put on a new pair of gloves and grip the chain half way between the sprockets and rotate the rear wheel to get even coverage of the lube. Done.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:33 PM

How long does it take you to brush your teeth?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."
ó George Carlin
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:15 PM

So all of that is the 'proper' way, though for the life of me I've never found all of that rigmarole necessary.

The 'official' thing is to check your chain every 500 miles, and clean/lube/adjust tension as necessary. If you take even a modicum of care the OEM chain and sprockets will last at least 15k miles. 20k isn't out of the question.

If you don't take any care at all, then you might just kill the set by 5k miles.

You can also get a Scott Oiler that will oil the chain automatically and then you just need to keep an eye on tension.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:57 PM
Jay

For our next forum topic: "What is the best religion?"
Douglas Ramsey likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:32 PM

I lube my chain about every 4-500 miles when it looks like it needs it. Occasionally, (if it gets dusty from riding the old country roads when the farmers are throwing dust and dirty water everywhere), I swab the chain with WD-40 and an old rag. Don't think rinsing it with water (!) is necessary. After a while, lube it with Bel-Ray chain lube. (my favorite for years, doesn't fly off as much as others that say they don't fly off.) I just turned 5000 miles and it hasn't needed more than 4 adjustments in that time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 06:25 AM

There is the proper way of doing things, but for me, grim is the main issue & incorrect tension, so I just spray a bit of WD40, let it sit after some agitation then wipe off and top up with gear oil (per manual) or chain lube (not over doing it) and light wipe down any excess. Check the tension before or after and links are not binding meaning chain moves as it should. It take 5 mins, if no tension adjustment is required before a wash (I lube after the wash, if I am washing the bike).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page